Not so long ago, your choices for creating visual content was extremely limited. You could go to the expense and long, drawn-out learning curve of Adobe products. Or you could settle for the quirkiness of PowerPoint.
Now, its all different, easier, and most of the time, FREE. Designers and non-designers alike use Canva, the go-to design tool for creating graphics for your online content. I like Canva and I use it. It’s a great tool, but it does have shortcomings. You’ve probably asked yourself if there are Canva alternatives. The answer is a resounding YES!
In this article, I’ll share 14 Canva alternatives, along with why you should check them out. You may even find a new favorite, or two, I did.
#1 Snappa [Best Alternative to Canva]
Users love that you can create professional-looking designs without being a designer. Snappa offers image editing tools and features that make it easy to get started quickly.
What’s Good about Snappa?
In Snappa, you can also schedule the graphics you create without leaving the interface. #Timesaver
Snappa also excels in the following areas:
- Create as many folders as you need
- It integrates with StockSnap.io to make it easier to find and use their stock photos
- Resize graphics to fit different platforms
- Integrates with Buffer
- All photos and graphics are 100% Royalty-Free
- 70,000 graphics, 200 fonts, and 500,000 free stock photos
- Ability to upload your own photos and graphics
Snappa starts everyone on the Free plan. You can keep that as long as you wish, then upgrade when needed. The Pro plan starts at $10/month, pay annually and get a discount. They also have a monthly plan.
Best Feature: Ability to resize graphics for different platforms
#2 Placeit [Second Best Alternative to Canva]
Placeit bills itself as the “one-stop-shop for mock-ups, logos, design templates, and animated videos.”
For the non-designer (as well as designers), Placeit allows you to create brand mockups, design templates, videos, and even logos. No design or Photoshop skills needed.
What’s Good About Placeit?
Placeit has over 36 thousand templates to use to show off your products. They have templates for just about any product you can think of.
Placeit provides you with a platform where you can create mockups of your products pretty quickly.
Users like these features:
- Thousands of templates to choose from for mockups
- Wide range of graphics and designs for all categories
- Models are shown in a variety of activities, ethnicities, and age ranges
- Everything happens in the browser, no software to download
- The mockup generator is easy to use with it’s drag and drop functionality
- The logo designer gives you lots of choices
- No design skills necessary
Placeit doesn’t really have a free plan, but you can test out how the service will work for you. A subscription is $19.95/month or $99.95/year, you have unlimited access to all of Placeit’s mockups, design templates, video templates, and logo makers. If you choose to go with single purchases, you pay per download. Mockups: $7, Video: $9, Logo: $40, and Design template: $3.
Best Feature: The ability to see what your logo or graphic looks like on an actual model.
The focus of stencil is marketing. More to the point, creating social media images quickly that you can post just as fast.
What’s Good about Stencil?
Most users commented on the fact that it’s easy to use and allows you to do things like:
- Resize images to new dimensions on the fly
- Watermark images without any quality loss
- Have multiple brands: which is awesome for social managers
- Save images with a transparent background
With 730+ premade templates, thousands of images, icons, and quotes, you’re bound to find exactly what you need.
Stencil starts at $9/month, per user. They do offer a FREE version and a FREE trial as well.
Best Feature: Creating quote graphics
DesignBold’s interface will feel and look familiar, if you’re used to Canva.
What’s Good about DesignBold?
Where DesignBold differs from Canva is its arsenal of stock photos. You’ll have your choice of 40 Million premium stock photos, images, and vectors. With these choices, you won’t have to worry about using the same images everyone else does. Even on the Free plan, you have 300,000 choices.
You will also like:
- The design quality of the templates
- No limit to the number of designs you can create, save, and store
- Being able to share your own template designs with your clients, which they can edit within DesignBold
- Ability to upload your own fonts
You can start with the Free plan and upgrade to Pro, which is $19/month, when you need to.
Best Feature: Having 40 Million premium stock photos to play with.
Desygner can be used on Android, iPhone, or the web to create professional-looking graphics.
They bill themselves as a one-stop shop for creating all kinds of visual art for your online needs, especially your blog and social media graphics.
Desygner has templates for social posts, advertising, social media headers, and most any marketing materials.
What’s Good about Desygner?
With thousands of Royalty-free, ready-to-use images, you won’t have any trouble finding content to work with.
You’ll also like:
- The ability to search for images using keywords and buzzwords like money, success, and happy
- Importing your photos and connecting them with your social media accounts
- Saving images in PDF, JPG, and PNG formats
- Auto-save function
- Thousands of Free vector art, stickers, and backgrounds
- Sharing designs via email or private links
- Downloading print-ready files
- Editing designs from your computer, tablet, or phone
Desygner has a Free trial and a Free option, which include 35,000 HD photos and graphics. The Premium plan is $6.95/month and gives you over 1 Million photos and graphics. The Business plan includes everything in Premium plus management for teams and analysis.
Best Feature: The ability to create all your marketing materials from anywhere.
Some say Crello is a Canva twin because their interfaces are so similar. But there are some differences.
What’s Good about Crello?
One feature that stands out for Cello is that you can use all of the features for Free. You will need to pay for the photos though, $.99 cents per image.
Users also liked:
- The ability to create animated content
- Free accounts have access to 8,000 templates; 300,000 for Premium users.
- Unlimited folder creation
The Forever Free gives you access to all the features, however the animations include “created by Crello.” Advanced is $79.99/year and includes all features, designs, and formats. But the videos are watermarked. The best option is Pro at $16.67/month. You get access to everything with no watermarks or Crello branding.
Best Feature: Animation Maker Tool
Fotor is another Canva-like clone, but without a lot of the elements Canva includes. From what I’ve seen, it’s more of a photo editing tool than anything else. That’s a good thing if you’re looking for a simple, easy-to-use tool to enhance photos.
What’s Good about Fotor?
- Image enhancement tools and filters
- One-click special effects, frames, and borders
- RAW file converter
- Editing images on the web, mobile, and desktop
Best Feature: One-click special effects for photos
If you want to create infographics, presentations, and flyers quickly that look like a designer did them, this is the program. I love a good infographic, but they are a pain to create. PiktoChart makes it easier to turn data into a graphic that tells a compelling story.
What’s good about PiktoChart?
There is a slight learning curve, but if you need to create a simple infographic that looks good, you’ll be pleased with the results.
Users also like these features:
- The ability to chose from over 500 professionally-designed templates updated weekly
- Easy-to-use interface
- Chart builder
- The ability to import and organize data into a spreadsheet
- “Download as Blocks” feature that allows you to break the infographic into smaller parts
- Section cloning
There is a Free level that you can stay on until you want to upgrade. Pro is $29/month and Pro Team is $99/month. “The main differences between the plans are the image upload limits and features like team template customization and design collaboration.”
Best Feature: Being able to create a simple infographic
The next Canva alternative is actually more of a photo editor and manipulator rather than just a graphic tool.
What’s good about PicMonkey?
PicMonkey is known for its photo-editing, touch-up, and design tools as well as their collage maker.
Users also like the following features:
- Ability to browse the graphic library of tools and frames
- Custom cropping and resizing
- Blemish fix and teeth-whitening features for photos
- Creating overlays with transparent backgrounds
- Text mask creation
- Using your own fonts
You pay to play here, there is no Free plan, but they do offer a Free 7-Day Trial. They have three subscription levels, Basic $7.99/month, Pro $12.99/month, and Team $33.99/month.
Best Feature: Blemish fix and teeth-whitening features for photos
First, Pablo is free! It’s great to have a platform where you have access to over 60,000 images at no charge.
What’s Good about Pablo?
You can create great posts for social media using beautiful images.
Here are some other features you’ll like:
- Ready-made templates
- Free Chrome extension
- Simple, easy, and quick graphics creation
- Upload your own images
Best Feature: Creating quote graphics with text easily
#11 Adobe Spark
Have a story to tell with your graphics? Use Adobe Spark to create visual stories using posts, videos, and scrolling one-page websites.
There are actually three programs: Spark Post, Spark Video, and Spark Page. With these three programs, you can create social media memes, mini websites, and narrated videos. Adobe Spark is available on the web and through their iOS apps.
What’s good about Adobe Spark
Users also like these features:
- Creating images with text overlays
- Embed video into a picture
- Create your own color palette
- Inspiration Gallery
- Make use of burst-mode photos
- iPhone users can use their Live Photos
- Easily create promotional videos
Adobe Spark Pricing
Best Feature: Create a story and share it via a post, video, or web page
#12 Designr [For Lead Magnets]
It can be frustrating and time-consuming to create lead magnets. And if you want the lead magnet to look like a designer did it, that takes up more time and expertise than I bet you’re willing to contribute.
You don’t have to stress, you can use Designrr. It’s a cloud-based service that allows you to repurpose existing content into an ebook, checklist, transcript, or report.
What’s good about Designr?
- Over 200 templates to choose from, you can switch between them easily
- Changing colors and other elements is easy
- Multiple publishing options
- 3D cover creation
- Cloud-based, no software to install
- Once you learn the process it gets quicker and easier to produce a project
- Transcription option
There is a Limited Lifetime offer available for $27. Grab it now.
Best Feature: Create lead magnets easily without possessing designer skills
Tired of your graphics looking a little too familiar? Canva has over 10 million users, but you only have 1.5 million stock photo choices. With tons of images and templates, plus features like layers and text effects, your designs definitely stand out when you use Easil.
What’s good about Easil?
Users like these features:
- Brandkit: upload your logo, fonts, colors, and brand items
- Brand Locking: create and lock templates for your team to use, but not mess up
- Templates designed by professional designers
- Everything in a template is available to all subscription levels, including Free
- Transparent PNG creation
- Gif Maker
The Free plan allow you to access templates, stock images, graphic elements, text effects, and layers. The Plus plan is $7.50/month and gives you everything from Free plus 5000 more all-inclusive templates, animated Gifs, and more. The Edge plan is $59/month and includes everything plus 10,000 industry and event-specific templates plus priority support.
If you’re not a designer, but you want professional-looking animated graphics to use for promotions, PixTeller is for you.
PixTEller asks why invest in more expensive programs when you can use their platform to create similar graphics? I asked myself the same question. Although I love my Adobe products, it’s always good to know about alternatives.
What’s good about PixTeller?
More than a free image creator, PixTeller does the work of heavy-hitters like Adobe Photoshop.
Users also like these features:
- Transparent background
- Upload your own fonts
- Resize graphics on the fly with “Smart Feature”
- Animate your image
- Download in JPG, PDF, PNG, and Gif
- Export animations in MP4 and Gif
- Create graphics for social media including YouTube thumbnails
They have a Free plan and a Free trial. There are two paid plans. Basic $9/month and Diamond $12/month
Best Feature: Animation Maker
Done for You Design Alternatives to Canva
Having Canva alternatives is great, but what if you don’t want to design anything? You’ve got things to do and money to make.
Below, I’ve listed 5 resources to get your designs done without you having to do all the work.
Delesign is a subscription-based design service. The more design work you need, the higher the value you’ll receive.
You submit one task at a time, with a turnaround time of 12-24 hours. With their pricing model, you can send more than 30 tasks a month for a wide range of design work.
Their subscription plans are $340/month, $325/month for the Annual subscription.
Design Pickle is a graphic design service that charges a flat rate for unlimited designs. You write up a design brief, send to your designer, and you receive great work back.
They can create social media images, flyers, banners, T-shirts, brochures and edit existing images, etc. They can also make infographics if you provide all the data and statistics.
Their plan is $399/month (save with an annual subscription). There’s also a Pro plan for agencies, $995/month.
RepurposeHouse is your solution for repurposing content into other formats. They can take a 2-minute video and recreate it into memes, audiograms, image quotes, and thumbnails formatted for social feeds, stories, and YouTube.
They have three pricing levels: Builder, $179/month, Pro, $279/month, and Influencer, $479/month. The difference is the amount of work you want them to do.
99 Designs is an online platform where you connect with web and graphic designers to create any type of design. They can create logos, web designs, illustrations, photography and videos. You can hire a single designer or create a design contest where multiple designers submit their ideas and you pick your favorite. You offer your feedback until you are satisfied and then you can release payment and get production-ready digital and printed documents.
Their pricing varies depending on whether you are creating a contest or hiring a freelancer. Their specialty is logo design. It starts at $299 and goes up to $1,299. The other services they offer vary in pricing as well.